October 17, 2009

The Power of Sabbaticals

I just watched this TED video...what an inspiration. This guy is not "religious" but definitely gets the power of taking a sabbatical. I know this is long, but it is worth it.

The sabbatical is not so much time away to do nothing, but the freedom to do your own kinds of projects. He talked about how much time he, 3m, and Google give to employees to do their own projects...Google gives their program designers 20% of their time to work on any project they want. What would happen if every pastor on staff were given responsibilities for 80% of their time and then given permission to spend the other 20% on projects of their own design...That could get interesting.

Either way, it certainly speaks to the power of taking time to "do something else." We are more creative when we take breaks and allow our minds room to breath in the fresh air.

No comments:

Post a Comment